Sunday, April 5, 2009

hmm...

I realize that I have been slacking off a bit when it comes to the old blog. Mostly its because I am lazy and when I blog I like to pay complete attention to what I am writing. For example, just now between complete and attention I got distracted by the tv... I am watching The Office right now and well... really tv just distracts me.

In other news...

Last night I went to Hubbard to hang out with my friend from work. I wasn't planning on coming home that night because we were going to watch movies and have a girls night. I did fall asleep during the second movie. I know, I'm so awesome, I can't even stay awake for two movies. Anyway. This morning when I got up I glanced at the window and thought, hmmm... Sarah's windows get really fogged up in the morning. Then I looked again, and I could hardly see across the street for the amount of snow blowing. Thats right... SNOW! I waited another hour and a half or so to see if it would let up. It didn't. Should I mention that I was wearing jeans and a cardigan and flip-flops last night? Yeah. All I took with me was a tooth brush and sweat pants. I convinced Sarah's daughter Megan to clean my car off for me because she had both boots and a coat at her disposal. I then ran like mad to my car and jumped in. I remembered that I had put my winter mittens in my glove box. I am so glad for that invention! I put my mittens on my feet and blasted the heat. There is an obscure highway that I had to take to get to the interstate. It is about a fifteen minute trip normally, twenty miles or so. That trip took 45 minutes... on an un-plowed road. Thats not actually that bad. Then I was about to try to get on the interstate and it was deeper and mushier, and there were like three cars ahead of me that were off the road, so I 86ed that idea and went to the Kum&Go that was right there. I braved the snow again in my shlops and ran into the store to get some info. The guy in there said that the interstate was really bad, and there was a trooper in the ditch and he didn't reccomend taking that road. So I asked if taking highway 69 would be a bad idea because that also went south right through Ames. He said that it would be a really bad idea because they don't keep it up during the winter at all. So here I was basically stranded in the middle of nowhere Iowa in a blizzard. I called my roommate to see what it was like in Ames, and she said it was just fine... it was just starting to snow. I ended up loitering at the gas station for about an hour or more trying to decide what to do. I finally called my roommate and had her look up road conditions for highway 69 because they had closed the interstate at this point. She said the website said that the 69 was bad but passible. I called my dad and told him where I was at and what road I was taking so if I ended up in the ditch he better be prepared to come and get me out. I got gas and left the gas station.
The second leg of my journey was not at all as bad as the first. 69 was much better than the other highway- one lane was plowed and the lane I was in had had cars drive on it so I was driving on pavement at least. I made it from Jewell to Ames in about another 40 minutes.
I called my dad and told him I made it home safe. Then I went home and put on dry clothes, slippers, and made hot chocolate.
What a fun weekend.

No comments: