Sunday, May 1, 2011

Grandpa Gerald

Today my Grandpa Gerald went to meet Jesus. 
I know that he heard Him say "well done, good and faithful servant."
My aunt said that right at the end my grandpa looked up and his eyes got big and he got a smile on his face and wouldn't respond to anyone around him.
That is what is getting me through this tough time.
Grandpa Gerald was the peacekeeper.  He was Grandma's rock.
He would get a twinkle in his eye when he was being mischevious.
He had a rock in the front yard that he loved.  When any of us kids would fall off or hit the rock he would come running over, and make sure we didn't "hurt" his rock.
Grandpa would joke with me about remembering my name.  One day, when he was playing with me saying "oh, whats your name again?"  I decided to be a smark-aleck (whats new) and said "Abraham Lincoln."
That name stuck.  Even when Alzheimer's took over his brain, and he didn't know my actual name, he would call me "old abe."
One time I went on a three week road trip to Washington State with Grandpa and Grandma.  So. Much. Fun.  He liked to push grandma's buttons and get her all flustered.  I would joke with him when they were bickering that if they didn't stop I would put them in separate corners of the van.  He thought it was hilarious.  He also got "mad" at me when I would sneak some caramel popcorn out of his bucket on that trip.
Mom said the last couple days his eyes would light up when Grandma walked into the room.  He loved her so much even to the very end.   I think he loved more than anything to get her all riled up and be the only one that could really calm her down.

I am very happy that he is singing at the feet of Jesus now. 
But he was my Grandpa Gerald and I will miss him dearly.

No comments: