Friday, July 22, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I love love loved this book.  
The premise is the author, Ransom Riggs, had all these vintage photographs that were a little off.  So the story is centered around the photos.  
The story is a boy, Jacob, grew up hearing about an island that his grandfather grew up on.  He would tell him fantastical stories about the children that lived there, some could fly, one was invisible, and so on.  He eventually grew out of the stories, and dismissed them as just stories.  
When his grandfather dies, he has one last thing to tell Jacob, and it is a rather cryptic sentence.
His last words leads Jacob to search for the people in the photo's and finds an amazing adventure.
I know the cover looks a bit creepy.  I would agree with you wholeheartedly.  Some of the pictures in the book are creepy.  But there is nothing that is scary.
I am HUGE wimp.  Like sleep with the lights on wimpy.  
This was not scary.  It. was. amazing.
I want to read it again... but my sister has already claimed it.  
Bummer.  And I have a list of people that are waiting to borrow it from me.  
This was the authors first book, and I am super impressed.  It was written as a young adult book, but it was so well written that all ages could enjoy it.  
I loved the voice of the author... he was clearly very smart, but doesn't "talk down" to the reader.
I can't even explain how much I LOVED this!
There is a video of an explanation of the book, but I like this one way more that Ransom also recorded.  It's different abandoned houses in Europe.  I love watching ones like that, things were left like the owners were coming back, but never did.
Now go read it!

No comments: