Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday

Don't worry, I am completely aware that I am a horrible blogger.  I have yet to take pictures while I am downtown, and I haven't really taken any while I have been uptown.
Yesterday I took the train downtown and did some shopping.  It was super easy to figure out, and I found Macy's pretty quickly. 
On the way back I was on the train and finally decided to be like all the other New Yorkers and listen to music on the train.  We stopped at one stop, and people slowly all got off.  I didn't think much of it till one of the MTA guys came and started looking in every door.  He came to the one by me and said something, and I took the earpiece out, and said sorry, what?  Then he just stood there.  He didn't say anything.  So, I just sat there, because I didn't know what was going on.  Then another guy came up and was like this is the last stop.  Oh, did I jump right up and say sorry, I didn't hear you the first time.  I know they were laughing at me, but whatever.  I got off and realized that I was nowhere near my stop.  My stop was 215th and we were at 168th.  There was no way I was going to walk that far.  Thankfully, my phone worked once I went up a level in the subway, and I called Christy to see what I should do.  It turned out that where I was at was a stop that another train passes the one that I was on... and it is a few blocks farther walk away from their house.  Phew. 
Today I needed some time to myself.  I didn't really want to go downtown, because all those people did not feel time time alone.  So Christy sent me to Yonkers, NY driving.  I drove all the way there and back by myself!  It took a few blocks to get used to the traffic flow.  It all really boiled down to go fast and be prepared to stop fast.  If someone gets in your way, don't be afraid to honk. 
I did get confused coming back, I couldn't figure out how to get back onto the interstate that I needed.  I think I drove past it about four times before the gps finally made sense to me and I figured it out.
You know how when you are driving into Des Moines from the north and you can see the DSM skyline, and be downtown in 45 min or less?  There was a bit of that, I could see the NYC skyline and it was not very far, but I knew if I drove directly down I wouldn't get there for HOURS.  Its crazy... the sheer amount of people everywhere. 
Seriously, every time I am on the subway and it starts to fill up, the "poor and huddled masses" phrase off the Statue Of Liberty runs through my head. 
Wow... I wrote way more that I was planning on. 
Its seriously only 8:35, but I am tired.  I'm gonna watch a movie of some sort, then off to dreamland for me!
Have a great day!

No comments: